Everyone seems to be going on and on about the latest videos that have suddenly gone viral. And yes, while you’re excited about it, too, being a business owner and all, that’s exactly the keyword for it: suddenly. Viral videos don’t just happen at will; the truth, there’s a little element of chance in it, too. Honestly, videos going viral isn’t the same as having a discount applied to your purchase as soon as you apply promo codes to it when you shop online. It’s a matter of meticulous planning and a stroke of luck.
Magic 8: 8 Do’s and Don’ts of Video Marketing
- Don’t fill the video up with corporate key messages and branding. Consumers are extremely brand savvy and can spot an attempted promotional viral video a mile off. Wait till the end to show your brand unless the viral is edgy enough to keep them involved.
- Do make the content fun, sweet and to the point. No waffling into the camera. The consumer wants to be instantly entertained. They don’t want to wait for it.
- Don’t replicate. Because it’s worked for another brand doesn’t mean it will work for you. Remember consumers want to see original content not something they’ve seen already.
- Do understand your audience and what they want. Research your consumer, their likes, their dislikes and create something they’ll enjoy, resonate with, talk about and share.
- Don’t just upload it and hope for the best. There are plenty of ways to create ‘noise’ around the viral with PR, social teasers, strategic seeding etc.
- Do ensure your mini story has a beginning, middle and end. Creative storytelling helps deliver a message in an entertaining, easy-to-watch format.
- Do use celebrities strategically. If you want to hire a celebrity make sure they’re popular with your target audience and align with your brands personality.
- Do strongly consider your video title. Brand names in video titles can be very off-putting, is it really necessary? Use a title that creates massive intrigue. If you’re partnered up with a named talent, ensure their name is in the title.